And the list from top to bottom, startin' on the left:
- Passat keyfob (which I kinda think is cool/gadget-y, since ya don't ever use a cut key)
- Leatherman Micra (have had it for at least 7-8 years, iirc - the scissors are kinda stickin' and not opening very well; I wanna get it cleaned up and in working order again)
- Generic multitool (this one's Brookstone-branded, and was $10 cheaper than the equivalent Eddie Bauer-branded one - got it when I left the micra home to catch a flight, and couldn't remember where I left it for a spell - like it for the pliers and LED light, which the micra doesn't have)
- Fisher Millennium (or 2010) spacepen (had one since '98)
- Inka Titanium pen (attached to the outta-picture keyring - got one for half the MSRP on that one auction site)
- 2GB flash drive from Kingston (a hand-me-down)
- Tungsten ring (based on the disdyakis triacontahedron, which I got from Ed Pegg, Jr. - who was also a consultant for NUMB3RS - see the August entry here; I usually have it in the middle of the basic pull-apart keyring, 'cuz I thought 'twas cool to have a ring made of tungsten, but it's too flashy to wear for any amount of time, yet I had to justify havin' it, so I keep it close so every once in a while I can show folks a dense ring which keeps its mirror finish, even in a pocket full of keys)
- just a stone I picked up that kinda gets polished 'cuz it's in the pocket with the keys and multitools
- watch (did the 10:10 deal again... )
Also, kinda related - in Stargate Atlantis, the folks knew that they'd be in another galaxy for a spell, and they were only allowed 2 personal items... If you were faced with the choice of only havin' 2 personal items to bring with you for some extended time away and outta touch with home, what would you choose? You could also figure that there was a way to power your electronics, or there was somehow an unlimited supply of batteries, so ya don't hafta worry about those details...
At the time (6 years ago, when the query was relevant), I said that I'd bring my Tapwave Zodiac 2 (which was a multimedia gaming pda - see more here, if ya want - and trivia? I got Judie's Z2 for a friend when she moved on to another piece o' hardware), because on it, I had my photos, music, videos, video games, scriptures, ebooks and the PIM apps. You could use wi-fi with an sd card (and it had two sd card slots), and, with the developers makin' awesome apps for it, it was definitely useful to keep around. The not-usually-removeable-by-a-user battery died on it a few years ago, though, but I received a new battery for it as a present last year, and I'm thinkin' of revivin' it. I mean, I had protective cases and a bunch of accessories for it, so I have it customized pretty much the way I like it, and it's really only relatively recently (in terms of tech advancements) that other handhelds have really evolved and surpassed its specs - like the iPod Touch has more memory, 2 cameras, a faster processor, a better touchscreen, wi-fi built-in, etc., and so I suppose I still like the Z 'cuz it was ahead of its time.
Anyway, my choices back when SGA started (tangent - it's a bummer that the SG franchises will be done after this season ) were, first, the Z2 and second, the Millennium spacepen, 'cuz it seems it's always handy to have a pen for communicatin' , and the Millennium's dependable and has enough ink to last the average user an estimated 50 years (iirc - or was it 80?). What was fun was that SG1 and SGA both used the Zodiacs as high-tech props for various pieces of equipment and it was fun to see what alien or classified tech it was gonna be used as next. And I liked that you could see one in one of my fave eps of SGA, "Hide and Seek". But I digress...
If I were asked the question now? I suppose that the 2 personal items I'd have with me are the 4th Gen iPod Touch (courtesy of Tower Prep ), for many of the same reasons I'd have the Zodiac, and still, the Millennium Spacepen. What about you?
*Got the idea from threads like this one, which you can see at various EDC forums, 'cuz there, it's all about the gear. Just wanted to see NERDy folks sharin' their stuff...