7 replies to this topic

#1 applebutter

applebutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • NERD:10964

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

New to Gluten free foods. Anyone have any recipes, or know restraunts that serve good gluten free food?

I know Organic Bliss in Toledo, Ohio has excellent gluten free brownies.

#2 Hala.Maria

Hala.Maria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFairfax, VA
  • NERD:13945

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:36 AM

If there's a Whole Foods near you, they have different assortments of gluten-free brownie and cake mixes.

Breads, I found a bread named Ezekiel. It is usually found in the frozen section, and it is sprouted grains and higher in fiber :)

What kind of foods are you looking for specifically?

Hala
Posted Image

#3 Lou

Lou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • NERD:13953

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:23 AM

Best tip I can give you if you're baking is to mix your flours- eg, doing everything with rice flour tastes like cardboard, but if you go thirds with rice flour, corn flour, and potato starch your average cake or whatever actually tastes like real food. The good thing is that gluten free is becoming more common these days...

#4 applebutter

applebutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

I'm overweight/obese, unhealthy and depressed.
Just looking for recipes, I want to be in better shape.
But I live in a little town with one supermarket.

#5 applebutter

applebutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:08 AM

Found some.
My local store carries these products, so i looked them up and BAM!

http://www.hodgsonmill.com/gluten-free-recipes/
Above are recipes I will try and post about.

http://www.organicblissmarket.com/Home_Page.html
Great places to buy food online Gluten free

#6 Always looking up

Always looking up

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationThe Universe (The one we can see, anyway.)
  • NERD:15203

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

I'm new to the gluten free diet as well, and I just discovered the brand Glutino. They make really good pizzas and bagels. If your grocery store doesn't carry enough gluten free foods, maybe you could ask them to order certain things for you. Amy's brand also makes some really good gluten free foods.

In terms of recipes, so far, I really like to make rice and beans at home, since they're really healthy. I saute frozen corn, chopped onion, kidney or black beans, olive oil, and taco seasoning in a frying pan and serve it with rice. It tastes really good!

#7 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationLidlington, UK
  • NERD:19090

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi guys and gals.
I'm a newbie here, I'm also a nutrition nerd, a personal trainer and a fellow gluten-free-er!
I eat a Paleo diet that was made famous by Dr Loren Cordain. There are a billion (maybe a slight over-exaggeration) websites that will give examples of diets that are completely glutn free.
The best website I have found is www.everydaypaleo.com. Sarah, who runs the website, is a mum to three little dudes so cooking is obviously made for a family and made quickly. The recipes she manages to come up with are quick, easy and delicious (which is the main thing because, lets face it, all the foods without gluten are pretty bland!)
Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf and Charles Poliquin are also good for gluten free recipes, but the afformentioned website is definately the best website I've found.
Hope this helps!
"I quit being afraid when my first venture failed and the sky didn't fall down."
- Allen H. Neuharth

#8 Jamie

Jamie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY
  • NERD:8724

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

Udi's makes the best gluten free muffins I've found. I've tried the blueberry, chocolate, and lemon struesel, but I think there's also cinnamon rolls. I'm not sure what stores carry their stuff (the one I shop at is regional), but I believe you can buy their items online through their website, and I haven't checked but they probably have some sort of list of stores that carry that brand.
Someone already mentioned Glutino, and I have to agree that they make fantastic gluten free pizzas.

Here are a couple of websites with gluten free recipes (I haven't actually tried most of them because I don't cook much, but a lot of the recipes look like they could be really good):
http://www.glutenfreely.com/recipes
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

There are a few chain restaurants that I know for sure have gluten free menus: Pizzeria Uno, Olive Garden, Bonefish Grill, Outback Steakhouse, P.F. Changs. I'm sure there are more but those are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

Also for anyone in or visiting the New York/Pennsylvania area, Wegman's has awesome gluten free sections at least in all the stores near me and the ones my grandma goes to, plus if you go to their website they actually have a list of all the gluten free items in the store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users