Photo

**NERD Cruise 2012**

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

Poll: NERD Cruise 2012 Interest (97 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you attend a week-long NERD Cruise during the summer 2012?

1. Uh. Yes, yes, and YES. (34 votes [35.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.05%

2. Possibly! I would have to see what my circumstances are thereabouts. (54 votes [55.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.67%

3. I'm not sure... I don't know if I would be interested in that until more details come out. (9 votes [9.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.28%

4. Not at all interested. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#21 Asta

Asta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts
  • LocationIceland
  • NERD:4021

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Thumbs up for this idea of yours :)
I would sure try my best to tag along with you .. that is if you´d like to have a nerdy icelander with you? ;)
  • “Beneath the makeup and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world.” - Marilyn Monroe
  • Wether you think you can do it or not, you are right

Tumblr

#22 czure32

czure32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB
  • NERD:13599

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Interested? sure
Getting the time off work generally isn't a problem either, so for me it's just a matter of finances
Thank you for not discussing the outside world

#23 Lt.Bamf

Lt.Bamf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • NERD:13225

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

I definately like the "earlier" idea :) August is just waaaay too busy, what with getting ready to head back to college and all. If it's earlier, I won't feel as bad, because I'll just be OUT of college haha!

#24 Clarkatron

Clarkatron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • NERD:16574

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

I would definitely be in for this. I am planning on going down to SDCC next year as I have yet to make it to one but it will happen and I will bring robots.

#25 KarissaEB

KarissaEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationCardinal Nation!!
  • NERD:1751

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

Most definitely will be somewhere warm, especially since the cheapest cruises tend to be Caribbean in destination ;)

I have started doing some research, but want to wait to get a larger response to the poll before I would start to contact any group vacation planners to work out more exact details. I am definitely looking at all the options too, and so far, the best option appears to be Carnival, both in regards to price and amenities. Will keep you all posted. In the meantime, get the word out! I would imagine that, the more NerdArmy members are interested, the greater chances we have of getting the TNM staff on the bandwagon. ;)

For those that have already responded (or have yet to respond), would you be looking to have a roommate (or three) in your cabin or would you be bringing family/significant others/non-TNM friends along?

Also, for when I DO get to contacting vacation planners for the cruiselines, are there any pressing questions you all have that I can relay in my efforts at getting us the best deals? Post away!

Karissa :)
"Take a moment everyday to appreciate living. Whether it be your glass of hot coffee, a hug from a friend (preferably me), or because you blew someone's head off on Modern Warfare 3, just take a moment to be thankful for it. It will open up your eyes to how beautiful life is..."
-Dennis R. Saunders (Never Ever Really Departed)

Posted Image

#26 Spacer

Spacer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCorona, CA USA
  • NERD:8431

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

wouldddd so love to go on this if i have the resources! :)
"The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant. every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam." Carl Sagan

Space Geek/Nerd (and of other things of course.)
Did you know Jupiter has over 60 moons??

NERD: 8431
Twitter: @space_geek

#27 Ember

Ember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationJoplin, MO
  • NERD:15913

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

For those that have already responded (or have yet to respond), would you be looking to have a roommate (or three) in your cabin or would you be bringing family/significant others/non-TNM friends along?Also, for when I DO get to contacting vacation planners for the cruiselines, are there any pressing questions you all have that I can relay in my efforts at getting us the best deals? Post away!Karissa :)

I'd probably bring along my family: 1 husband, 2 kids. And the most pressing question in my mind is where we'll set out from.
Posted Image

#28 jdmiller

jdmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • NERD:135

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

Most definitely will be somewhere warm, especially since the cheapest cruises tend to be Caribbean in destination ;)

I have started doing some research, but want to wait to get a larger response to the poll before I would start to contact any group vacation planners to work out more exact details. I am definitely looking at all the options too, and so far, the best option appears to be Carnival, both in regards to price and amenities. Will keep you all posted. In the meantime, get the word out! I would imagine that, the more NerdArmy members are interested, the greater chances we have of getting the TNM staff on the bandwagon. ;)

For those that have already responded (or have yet to respond), would you be looking to have a roommate (or three) in your cabin or would you be bringing family/significant others/non-TNM friends along?

Also, for when I DO get to contacting vacation planners for the cruiselines, are there any pressing questions you all have that I can relay in my efforts at getting us the best deals? Post away!

It would probably just be me coming, so I would definitely be open to having roommates from TNM. Probably be more cost effective :-) Love the idea!

#29 Asta

Asta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts
  • LocationIceland
  • NERD:4021

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Guess my boyfriend would want to tag along :) So I think I could be plus 1 ...
  • “Beneath the makeup and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world.” - Marilyn Monroe
  • Wether you think you can do it or not, you are right

Tumblr

#30 KarissaEB

KarissaEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationCardinal Nation!!
  • NERD:1751

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

Ember - I am in the process of researching different ports of origin to see where would be the cheapest to not only sail from, but travel to. I want this to be as cost-effective as possible so that people would realistically be able to go to both NerdCruise AND SDCC/NerdHQ. It's totally possible, but is requiring a LOT of research! :)

Any other specific concerns anybody has? It will help me focus my research as I can't possibly think of everything with my mommy brain. Lol. (PS, for those of us that would want to bring our nerdlings, I'm also looking into the onboard childcare programs!)
"Take a moment everyday to appreciate living. Whether it be your glass of hot coffee, a hug from a friend (preferably me), or because you blew someone's head off on Modern Warfare 3, just take a moment to be thankful for it. It will open up your eyes to how beautiful life is..."
-Dennis R. Saunders (Never Ever Really Departed)

Posted Image

#31 Rizzee

Rizzee

Li(f)e

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts
  • LocationLondon, England
  • NERD:3842

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

This actually sounds amazing, though it'll be a bit tough for the people that aren't in the US. But I'll still be up for it! Definitely try and bring some other friends along

My Tumblr - My Twitter

SDCC 2013

#32 GreenMoments

GreenMoments

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • NERD:288

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

Hopefully if I have everything down with the money situation and other stuff, then maybe. It sounds like such an awesome idea!
Living in the Green Moments. Life is like the bike under a cyclist, one has to put an effort into making it move but once it does, it is easier to control it.
GreenMoments on Twitter and Neximo on DeviantArt.
~Satchi Blackwater

#33 Paranoid

Paranoid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationArgentina
  • NERD:1586

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

I'd rather pay a bit more being alone... but if I can't gather money enough I'll be pleased to share a room...
-Dennis R. Saunders

Nerd #11848
Viva La Nerdolution!

#34 Paranormalize

Paranormalize

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArvada, CO
  • NERD:8810

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

Just remember that hurricane season is July through October. You'll get great rates but it might get a bit windy... lol.

I love this idea. I'm in. Don't know if I'm bringing someone or if I'd need a roommate. It's a bit too early to tell.

Many cruise ships have conference rooms and event planning for groups. So we could even have guest speakers... maybe Zach would like a cruise?!

;-)

#35 Aidenn

Aidenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationBay City, MI
  • NERD:129

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

I joined up with 3 others from TNM for SDCC and the NerdHQ over the weekend and had a blast with them, so I have no issues with rooming with other people from here. Without details, however, I can't say for sure that I wont have friends tag along.

-Aidenn
Posted Image

#36 Velvet_Rose

Velvet_Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationWales, UK
  • NERD:9312

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

I'd love to go! It all depends on dates/pick-up destinations and that ever elusive mistress - money.
J
xxx

#37 Tessa/PinayNerd

Tessa/PinayNerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia
  • NERD:1102

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hi there,

Great thread! I had been thinking of the same thing starting back in May while on an Alaskan cruise and had brought up the idea at one point to TNM among other things. The idea of doing a dedicated Nerd Cruise is exciting - essentially bringing NerdHQ/SDCC to the high seas: rooms of video gaming, panels, trivia games, booths/merch, parties plus more (movie/TV show screenings, small group discussions on common interests, etc.). I'd be interested to participate for sure. After seeing the effort that they put behind Nerd HQ, it won't be an easy feat but does not seem impossible either. Definitely worth bringing to their attention again to see if it is aligned with their long/short-term plans for the company. Not sure what to say about when the best time for it would be, but my husband and I would go anytime this happens :)

Tessa

#38 BustAGroove

BustAGroove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley, CA
  • NERD:14248

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:21 AM

I'm on board.

#39 Paranormalize

Paranormalize

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArvada, CO

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hi there,

Great thread! I had been thinking of the same thing starting back in May while on an Alaskan cruise and had brought up the idea at one point to TNM among other things. The idea of doing a dedicated Nerd Cruise is exciting - essentially bringing NerdHQ/SDCC to the high seas: rooms of video gaming, panels, trivia games, booths/merch, parties plus more (movie/TV show screenings, small group discussions on common interests, etc.). I'd be interested to participate for sure. After seeing the effort that they put behind Nerd HQ, it won't be an easy feat but does not seem impossible either. Definitely worth bringing to their attention again to see if it is aligned with their long/short-term plans for the company. Not sure what to say about when the best time for it would be, but my husband and I would go anytime this happens :)

Tessa

Hmmm.... it might be easier if we went with a cruise line that was already "geeked out" with the latest video games and are accustomed to costumes and adults acting like kids. How about Disney cruises? I think somebody we all know might have done a little work with Disney... Tangled cruise anyone?

#40 Paranormalize

Paranormalize

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationArvada, CO

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

Ooooooh! Look at this: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/fantasy/

They launch the Fantasy next March, which means they may have special deals for its maiden year at sea.

I'd be happy to help with this in any way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users