Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1055 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy
  • NERD:769

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

Doctor Who
Posted Image

Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of a mysterious and eccentric humanoid alien known as the Doctor who travels through time and space in his spacecraft, the TARDIS (an acronym for Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space), which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s British police box. With his companions, he explores time and space, faces a variety of foes and saves civilizations, helping others and righting wrongs, as well as improving the way people, aliens and robots choose to live their lives.

The programme is listed in Guinness World Records as the longest-running science fiction television show in the world,[1] and as the "most successful" science fiction series of all time, in terms of its overall broadcast ratings, DVD and book sales, iTunes traffic, and "illegal downloads". It has been recognised for its imaginative stories, creative low-budget special effects during its original run, and pioneering use of electronic music (originally produced by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop). The show is a significant part of British popular culture; in the United Kingdom and elsewhere, it has become a cult television favourite and has influenced generations of British television professionals, many of whom grew up watching the series. It has received recognition from critics and the public as one of the finest British television programmes, including the BAFTA Award for Best Drama Series in 2006, and five consecutive wins at the National Television Awards since 2005, in the Drama category.

The programme originally ran from 1963 to 1989. After an unsuccessful attempt to revive regular production with a backdoor pilot in the form of a 1996 television film, the programme was relaunched in 2005, produced in-house by BBC Wales in Cardiff. The first series was produced by the BBC; series two and three had some development money contributed by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), which was credited as a co-producer.[6] Doctor Who also spawned spin-offs in multiple media, including the current television programmes Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures, the standalone K-9, and a single 1981 pilot episode of K-9 and Company.

The Doctor has been principally played by eleven actors. The transition from one actor to another is written into the plot of the show as regeneration, whereby the character of the Doctor takes on a new body and, to some extent, new personality. Although each portrayal is different, and on occasion the various incarnations have even encountered one another, they are all meant to be aspects of the same character. The Doctor is currently portrayed by Matt Smith, who took up the role after David Tennant's final appearance in an episode broadcast on 1 January 2010. A fifth series of the relaunched programme began on 3 April 2010, in which the Eleventh Doctor is accompanied by Amy Pond, portrayed by Karen Gillan.

SOURCE & MORE INFO:
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Doctor_Who

RELATED LINK:
Official Site | IMDB

#2 NΕRD

NΕRD

Этo курaм нa смex

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1990 posts
  • NERD:563

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

Bummer that the previous thread got (temporarily?) lost in the shuffle...

Anyway, here (@ blastr) are 9 images for the Christmas special, if you're interested. Also, I just gotta say that Katherine Jenkins, like Georgia Moffett, has "happy" eyes and a purty smile! :)

23 more days for more Doctor Who goodness!

B)

What's in a Name? | Avatar & Sig? | Gender & Age Poll | NERD Demos | NERD # properties | Spread the NERD? | NERDworking!
Posted Image
[backlit and w/ a minor change mentioned hereView Post (& other variations)]
How do ya stay healthy? | Hang out @ The Usual Spot or The NERD Hangout | ^<v | Guilty pleasures?
I have: Chuck's chucks, his TRON poster (after a tradeView Post w/ luckypeter93View Post), the red NERD Herd landline phone, the Rubik's Cube from Chuck's Stanford items box,
the Irene Demova virus, Morgan's jug of orange juice from Sarah, Chuck's NERD Herd tie, the racing seat in his living room and Roan Montgomery's martini glass

#3 Mendozacheers

Mendozacheers

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • LocationBlack Mesa
  • NERD:1293

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, where is the old thread? Love the work you've written down charly, but where's the old thread?

#4 Tebroc

Tebroc

Clive, the 6502 Microcode Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2173 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, England
  • NERD:607

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

being english and a nerd i have to love doctor who, especially DT's doctor who.he owned that role and some of the cheese and emotions he put into the character were awesome.

cant wait for the christmas episode though :D

#5 charly

charly

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1055 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, where is the old thread? Love the work you've written down charly, but where's the old thread?

I'm sorry that was my fault! I had problems merging and moving such huge amount of thread today and I can't find it anymore! I remember it too so I reopened the discussion as a new one until I don't fine the old one and I'll merge the two discussions togheter! Today I did lot and lot of work so, sorry for the inconvenience. It wasn't intentionally! :(

#6 JavaJoe

JavaJoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNC
  • NERD:1385

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

I'm sorry that was my fault! I had problems merging and moving such huge amount of thread today and I can't find it anymore! I remember it too so I reopened the discussion as a new one until I don't fine the old one and I'll merge the two discussions togheter! Today I did lot and lot of work so, sorry for the inconvenience. It wasn't intentionally! :(

It's OK, you did a great job!! Keep up the good work! :D
May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all.

#7 Mendozacheers

Mendozacheers

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • LocationBlack Mesa
  • NERD:1293

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

Yeah that was an acceptive excuse =) I would be difference if you said "The other one sucked so hard, just had to make a better one!" ^^ Good Job Charly!

#8 charly

charly

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1055 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

LoL ... nooooo the other one was great too! The fact is that there where too much to do today and I'm really sorry about that but THANK YOU so much for being so AWESOME! I love this place! But now ... END OT/ XD

#9 lola

lola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationLondon / Manchester, UK
  • NERD:2769

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Thank God, I genuinely thought I might have imagined the haven of fellow Whovians and that Craig Ferguson dance video... Don't worry though Charly, we'll let you off this once if only because your opening post is epic :D
"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John Lennon
"Target acquired. Target engaged. Target angry. Target angry!" "Hulk SMASH" - The Avengers

Posted Image

Twitter: @TheLolaWales

#10 Hoggleton

Hoggleton

Capt. Bucky O'Hare!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • LocationReading, UK
  • NERD:184

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

Ah well. I have no problem repeating my epic love for the Doctor! I'm super excited about Opening Present, having some Turkey and then Watching some Doctor Who! I think Doctor Who is a hottie Magnet. Just look at his most recent assistants and featured characters in the storyline... Like the "Girl in the Fireplace" and "Amy Pond" or most definately "Sally Sparrow"!

I don't know if its Available outside the UK... but this was on the Doctor Who Website... Might be on Youttube too!. Christmas Time Lord
"I came here to Drink Milk and Kick Ass.... And I've just finished my milk."
"I'm not a window cleaner!!!"

James

@Hoggleton on Twitter Hoggleton on Facebook

Apple Nerd. Apple MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, 750 GB WD Black 7200RPM HDD. iPhone 4 16GB, iPad 2 Black 64GB WiFi, Apple TV2, iPod Classic Black 120GB, and an iMac G3 750MHz G3, 40GB HDD, 1GB RAM.

#11 lola

lola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

For the non-UK fans, you can see the trailer here

The DW christmas special is now a regular feature in my house. My nerdiness is almost on overload for Steven Moffat to be writing a space-age Scrooge in Michael Gambon.

Must.... Calm.... Down...
"Target acquired. Target engaged. Target angry. Target angry!" "Hulk SMASH" - The Avengers

Posted Image

#12 NΕRD

NΕRD

Этo курaм нa смex

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

Thank God, I genuinely thought I might have imagined the haven of fellow Whovians and that Craig Ferguson dance video...

Ya mean this? :D

What's in a Name? | Avatar & Sig? | Gender & Age Poll | NERD Demos | NERD # properties | Spread the NERD? | NERDworking!
Posted Image
How do ya stay healthy? | Hang out @ The Usual Spot or The NERD Hangout | ^<v | Guilty pleasures?
I have: Chuck's chucks, his TRON poster (after a tradeView Post w/ luckypeter93View Post), the red NERD Herd landline phone, the Rubik's Cube from Chuck's Stanford items box,
the Irene Demova virus, Morgan's jug of orange juice from Sarah, Chuck's NERD Herd tie, the racing seat in his living room and Roan Montgomery's martini glass

#13 lola

lola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:16 PM

Ya mean this? :D

YAY!!!

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance over brute force and cynicism..."
And yes, I'm doing the dance moves!

Posted Image

#14 lola

lola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

By the way, the BBC website is doing it's usual Advent Calendar with special new content every day till Christmas. A new adventure game will apparently be released on Christmas Day. Has anyone been playing them?

Posted Image

#15 NΕRD

NΕRD

Этo курaм нa смex

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

I didn't know about it till you mentioned it, but the link's here, if anyone's interested... I don't browse there much, I think 'cuz the videos don't play across the pond, iirc, but thanks! Looks like some stuff is available anywhere - cool! ^_^

Posted Image

#16 lola

lola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:56 AM

I didn't know about it till you mentioned it, but the link's here, if anyone's interested... I don't browse there much, I think 'cuz the videos don't play across the pond, iirc, but thanks! Looks like some stuff is available anywhere - cool! ^_^

My nephew is obsessed with those games. He thinks he is Matt Smith. He's actually asked for bow ties for Christmas...

The games are pretty good. Not amazing but definately not bad, especially for freebies. I think you might need to pay to download them from across the pond though, sorry!

Posted Image

#17 Steph

Steph

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA
  • NERD:703

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:01 AM

So this is the new Doctor Who thread then? Why hello there all :)
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter

#18 leafshino

leafshino

CTFxCer, Video Gamer, Anglophile, Japanophile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Sol 3
  • NERD:2920

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:02 AM

I absolutely love Doctor Who. Although I have yet to watch the original series (been meaning to get the DVDs though).
Like a big number of fans, I absolutely love the Tenth Doctor. As for companions, I would have to go with Donna Noble.

#19 Dani K

Dani K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • NERD:297

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

gotta love doctor who and I can't wait for the christmas special!

Big fan of the tenth and eleventh doctors

"And the final score is: no TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da man?! Okay, that's... I'm never saying that again. Fine." - Eleven

"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so very pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die." - Mal

"Oh trust me doc, bringing psychiatric drugs and teenagers together is like opening a lemonade stand in the desert." -Charlie Bartlett

#20 lola

lola

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:33 AM

So this is the new Doctor Who thread then? Why hello there all :)

Welcome back! :D

Got to say, I'm impressed by the number of US Who fans. Is it a big thing over there or more of a hidden gem?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users